About NM Native-Led Organizations: COVID-19 Resource Map
“Discover Native-led NGOs, grassroots, nonprofits and stakeholders interested in moving resources to NM Native American communities deeply affected by COVID-19.”
– Roanhorse Consulting LLC
Native Americans account for 57% of the state of NM’s cases – despite only being 11% of the population – and have infection rates 14 times that of the rest of the population” according to the NM Department of Health.
WE KNOW THAT
Native Americans in New Mexico and the Navajo Nation are disproportionately affected by COVID-19. According to the Albuquerque Journal, “… Native Americans across New Mexico, the majority of whom live on remote tribal lands, are dying of COVID-19 at rates 19 times that of all other populations combined, according to data provided by the state Department of Health. They account for 57% of the state’s cases – despite only being 11% of the population – and have infection rates 14 times that of the rest of the population. Other states have also had disproportionately high rates of COVID in Native communities.”
Many of our communities have been impacted by the pandemic and that many of the challenges our communities face are due to the lack of needed infrastructures and critical resources to adequately address the pandemic.
HOW TO HELP
One way to do this, is to map and uplift the amazing work of these Native-led groups and organizations. At Roanhorse Consulting, we have a vision of creating such a map to help showcase the existing resources and community-led projects that are working to not only provide emergency COVID-19 relief resources but are also developing longer-term coordinated planning efforts building on their relief and mutual aid work. Much of these coordinated collaborative efforts have been largely organic and based on indigenous values of generosity, kindness, and reciprocity. This is the type of community-led work that should be supported and where possible, invested in. Additionally, the map also includes emergency relief funds from across New Mexico and information on how to access them.
Search for Organizations by:
- Click the “Search and Filter” button at the top left corner of the map,
- then click “Filter By” button, then select “Organization Name”,
- then type an organization name in the search bar.
Learn More About The Organizations
The information included are:
- Location: Since Native communities are mostly rural, we thought it would be helpful to understand who, where, and what community and Native-led efforts are doing across New Mexico and connect needs and resources in nearby areas.
- Contact Information: Get in contact with these organizations!
- Service Areas: This section is clickable, so when you click the service area, the map will outline and highlight the areas these organizations serve.
- Donation Crowdfunding Links: These organizations need support, so please give if you can
- Moving forward we plan to connect with the organizations in this map to make sure we have the most updated information, continue to collect their feedback about how best to use this map and to make this resource public and as useful as possible so we can uplift Native Communities and Organizations.
- If you are a representative of such an organization, please feel free to fill out this form to help us keep our map as accurate and useful as possible. You can email Olivia Roanhorse at email@example.com with your organization information if that is easier. Please include:
- Your organization Name, Contact Information, Social Media Handles, Mission Statement, web site address, crowdfunding link.
- Any suggestions to enhance user experience,
- or if your organization is listed and you’d like your information to be edited. Please note that your personal contact information will not be shared on the map.
COVID-19 Resource Map
While many of these challenges will require longer-term planning and deep public and private investments, we also want to recognize and build on the work of many organizations, grassroots groups, and community leaders who have been stepping up to take care of their communities for the past 4 months. Here’s what we have done so far.
March - April 2020
Collecting + Organizing
Collecting + Organizing COVID-19 Relief Efforts by Native-led Organizations
May - June 2020
Standardizing Data on the lists to create a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) map
August 2020 - Onward
Moving forward, the plan is to connect with each of the Native-led/Native-serving organizations in this map to ensure;
- We have the most updated information,
- We continue to collect their feedback about how best to use this map
- We are uplifting Native Communities and organizations.
COVID-19 Resource Map
Does Your NM Organization Provide COVID-19 Resources for Native Communities?
Roanhorse Consulting, LLC has created this “map” to showcase existing resources available to Tribes and/or Native-serving organizations for COVID-19 relief in New Mexico and the Navajo Nation.
The goal is to promote existing organizations and groups who are coordinating relief efforts for Native communities. These groups should be supported and where possible, invested in.
Additionally, the list also includes emergency relief funds from across New Mexico and information on how to access them.